Saturday, January 23, 2010

Well, it took me a while: the rest of Key Largo

So, there are many things I enjoyed about Key Largo. I had an interesting time at RUSK. I liked some of the people I met there, but recovery in some respects, really concerned me there. People do not take meetings as seriously as I would have hoped. While they are on Key Largo time, some newcomers may need a meeting and are desperately trying to get there in time for a meeting. Oh, but where are the trusted servants?Oh, yeah, they are over there, gabbing, catching up, whatever. Hmmm, who is in the meeting room starting a meeting to best help the newcomer on a timely basis? Not many people. But some of the people proved to be very friendly and I am grateful for them. I am not the type of person to socialize with just anyone. I am MUCH more likely to observe some one's integrity when it comes to her program of recovery.

Some of the meetings mystified me: people started using other words and substituting words in the first step, suggesting to others that maybe others should consider a new reading on the first step. For example, someone suggested using the word "unbearable" instead of "unmanageable". Poor baby! Take some freaking responsibility and accountability for what your powerlessness did and TAKE the first step the way it was written! Then this suggestion and false message of pathetic unbearability transcended several meetings! Yikes! Scary! I did with some aggravation, I will admit, set the message straight. Fortunately, by this time, I met a woman early in recovery to help with the steps and pass on the actual message of AA, as it is found in the Big Book. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to help this young woman. This is how I stay sober!

In spite of my previous post, I had a really relaxing time in Key Largo; after all, I accomplished my PADI open water certification and my New Years resolution to stop smoking. While I can't say that first week or two of not smoking were relaxing, the freedom from smoking was extremely rewarding. In Key Largo, I met someone with whom I baked a lot (gingerbread cookies and cupcakes and more). We even made a wonderfully tasty dinner and over the course of 3-4 weeks watched several movies, genres evenly divided between alcoholic and chick flick! It was a lot of fun. This same woman offered Jeff and me the use of her boat. Along with her (soon to be ex) husband, Jeff and I went out to Molasses Reef to snorkel on New Years Eve. While there were too many jelly fish for me and the motion of the boat on the waves made me ill (literally, I provided fish food to the lucky ones on the reef), I had a great deal of fun. Any idea Jeff and I EVER had of owning any kind of boat was quickly put to bed when I told Jeff "there is NO fucking way I will ever live on a boat". Yep, that's what I said and that pretty much sums it up. Don't worry, I will still be able to go on dive boats and all that, but LIVING on a boat....well, I think I have given up that ghost.

I spent the last 2-3 weeks helping the (somewhat) newcomer get through the beginning steps, baking an awful lot, visiting Mrs Macs more than ever, and taking care of my "high maintenance" needs like hair cuts, waxing, and a pedicure! Mrs Macs is worthy of much more than a mention.

We first went to Mrs Macs on a whim to satisfy a recommendation from a woman I spoke with at the dog park on Tybee Island, Georgia. Jeff and I enjoyed this restaurant and I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone. So, remember, my tastes are specific: I loved their special sauce dressing, their cottage fries, and this pita sandwich they made. Granted I asked for it with out a few items, the pita sandwich with turkey breast was awesome. The servers (all female that I had) were friendly and one in particular was lots of fun and friendly with everyone; her name is Sarah and she was very familiar with Chandler's Ford in England where I first started my partying career as she, herself, lived not far from this little town near Southampton. The desserts were tasty as well! Jeff enjoyed the fish basket and other seafood meals. If and when we return to Key Largo, we are definitely spending some time at Mrs. Mac's.

There were a few other restaurants that I went to, but I only went to them a small handful of times. There was the Pilot House, DJ's Diner, Harriette's(spelling?) and they were fun, but they were not places I would probably choose to be a regular. I come back to Mrs. Macs because they remember I am the one with the unsweetened tea and the malt vinegar on the fries. I am going to keep coming back. See you next time Sarah and the gang at Mrs Macs!

No comments:

Post a Comment