Thursday, August 5, 2010

Leaving Facebook

I have to say that sometimes it is hard to let go. My family and close family friends have an active presence on Facebook; I will miss their photos and updates. If they want, they have my personal email and my blog address; they can come for a visit in this virtual play land. That will be the challenge to let go. And...sometimes....people make it really freaking easy to deactivate from Facebook. Seriously, I have had this big issue with several people on Facebook, whether they owe me large sums of money and still pretend to be my "friend" or people that are so politically oriented to assassinating one person on an almost daily basis. Can you imagine being attacked daily (I imagine if you are in politics this happens)? Would you stay on Facebook and keep listening/watching someone being character assassinated? That does not make sense. So one friend continually attacks a public and political persona, yet expends no positive energy toward the advancement or accolades of his chosen party, well at least not as often as he vents against others. We used to respect the President of the United States, even if we did not vote for him or don't agree with him. I guess there is a decline of morals in the U.S. of A. Who knew! We even left people alone rather than defaming the character of others. Because it is kind. Because it is human. I have realized on Facebook it is just so easy to defame and libel because it makes someone feel bigger, more important because he can scream louder. Wow, very spiritual. Freedom of speech is powerful and it is a privilege we possess in the U.S. It does not come with out consequences. Can someone yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater. NO! It's misleading and sends people into panic and chaos. If someone wants to abuse their sense of freedom of speech, this isn't spiritual; watching people panic in chaos seems masochistic. If a woman cries "rape" on Facebook, is it freedom of speech?Absolutely. But if it is false, it's damaging. Freedom of speech may be a right, but it should be used rightly, not to harm. Justice isn't going to be served on Facebook. I just don't get much of what goes on Facebook lately.

Of course, I can defriend anyone any time. You know what that is? That is, to me, in my humble opinion, cowardly. Press a button and denounce your friendship? Really, it's that easy? Well, for those people who I friended as old acquaintances from high school that mean nothing (other than maybe three or four people who even TALKED to me in high school), yes, it is THAT easy. Should it be that easy to push a button and defriend those I had friendships and relationships with for years? It is, but it should not be. Though people are telling me that it is that easy, I have my doubts. On one hand, the people I would defriend that are closer than antique high school acquaintances may not even know I have defriended them. The other hand is my conscience. The other hand tells me that it is not about them. To thine own self be true. If I am being honest, I need to know that defriending someone means to me, I really don't want to be their friend so much. At all. IN.REAL.LIFE.

I think that by leaving Facebook, I will have time to work on my blog, my new business web site, my new life and opportunities with greater focus. There is also that vague chance that developing an identity here in Florida can be done successfully without my involvement on Facebook. According to Betty White, Facebook is a colossal waste of time. I am not sure I 100% agree because, after all, I did get back in touch with wonderful college friends and a few of those high school friends that talked to me back then. And if they talked to me back then, I want to talk to them now.

I know people are not going to agree with going to extremes and just leaving Facebook. As soon as I finish playing Scrabble with an old high school friend, I am outta there!

1 comment: